Italian chicken and red pepper casserole
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
6 chicken thighs
2 medium onions (chopped finely)
3 red peppers (de-seeded and cut into chunks)
200g button mushrooms (quartered)
3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
2 tsp dried basil
300ml chicken stock
1 can chopped tomatoes
150ml white wine
8 tbsp cream
3 tbsp parsley to garnish
10 black olives to garnish (optional)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the rapeseed oil and the butter in an oven-proof pot. Add the chicken thighs to the pot in 2 batches and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
2. Add the onion to the pot, fry over a medium heat, when it begins to soften add in the garlic and stir around. Add in the peppers and mushrooms to the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add in the chopped tomatoes and basil.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°c. Transfer the cooked vegetables and juices to an oven proof dish, arrange the chicken on top.
4. Pour the wine and stock over the chicken. Cover the casserole dish and cook for 40 minutes.
5. Pour the cream in to the casserole, cook for 10 more minutes.
6. Garnish with chopped parsley and olives (optional) Serve with your favorite pasta or creamy mashed potato.