Curried Beetroot soup with roasted tikka spiced chickpeas
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 medium green onions (medium dice)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 small knob fresh ginger (grated finely)
4 large beets about 700g (peeled and chopped into chunks)
1tsp chilli powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp ground cumin
4 cardamon pods
1tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground coriander
1 can light coconut milk
400ml vegetable stock
FOR THE CHICKPEAS
½ can cooked chickpeas (200g)drained and towel dried
1 tablespoon coconut oil(melted)
1 tablespoon dried tikka spices
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. When it's hot, add the coconut oil and then the onions, cooking for about 4 minutes until the onions are opaque and soft. Add in garlic and ginger, cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the beetroot, ground coriander, cloves, chilli, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin and cardamom pods. Stir then cover and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add coconut milk and vegetable stock.
4. Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until beets are tender. Use a fork to prod them to see if they are cooked through.
Transfer soup to a blender (you can use a stick blender and save on the washing up) and purée until creamy and smooth.
5. Serve with Greek yoghurt and a good sprinkling of the roasted tikka chickpeas. Garnish with some coriander leaves.
6. You can keep the soup up to 5 days in a fridge or you can freeze it.